I’ve been wanting to give our guest bathroom a fresh and modern update without spending a fortune to do it! My total budget for the refresh was a hard $200…which honestly is not very much to transform a space! It took me almost three months to complete the vision within budget, but I am so happy I waited until it was exactly what I wanted.
Never underestimate the power of paint and new light bulbs! These two things had the biggest impact by far. I found a gallon of bright white paint in our basement from a previous project and changed all the lighting to LED bulbs. I also wanted to update the knobs and light fixture, but once I started looking at the cost of these items, I couldn’t justify buying new ones! So I bought a $5 can of spray paint and painted the old light fixture and cabinet knobs matte black. It took less than a half of a day to complete and it was the best decision I could have made! It made the space feel modern but costed next to nothing!
Adding a round mirror, new towels, rug, shower curtain, and fresh decor completed the space better than I envisioned!
Again, this only took 2 weeks to transform, but it was not a quick fix. I took my time on planning exactly what I wanted before executing and that is what made for a seamless update!
I shopped my home for:
Below are a few tips I recommend taking into consideration before doing any refresh on a room!
- Have a Vision: Plan it out. Don’t start buying items and then try to throw a room together. (Trust me, I’ve done this 10,000x- learn from my mistakes on this one!) Take time to bring your vision to life…on paper. In my opinion, this is one of the most critical elements! Cut and paste into a word document, create a mood board, pin ideas on Pinterest. Whatever you decide, make sure you have a clear vision of what you want your refresh to look like before wasting time and money!
- Shop Your Home: Once your vision is set, ALWAYS search your home before going out and buying anything. That includes paint, decor, and accessories. You’ll be surprised about what you can utilize from your own house!
- Make it Your Own. Find inspiration on IG, from friends, and Pinterest, but make it appeal to your individual taste! Use pieces that are special to your family for a personal touch. I used this stunning Deb Presutto art piece to give our bathroom a calm and serene feel.
- Take Risks: Paint a black wall, add an interesting light fixture, mix prints and patterns. If you feel strongly about something unique, go for it. My risk for this project was taking the 90s light fixture and spray painting it! It seemed crazy (especially to my husband), but it was one of my favorite changes to the room.
- Watch Sales: Once you have an idea of what items you’d like to purchase, do not buy right away. Start following your favorite stores for a week or two! Get on their email lists, check their websites daily, and look for coupons. For this specific project, I bought my mirror at 50% off from Hobby Lobby and a handful of my decor was 20% off. I waited until I saw those deals come through before buying.
- Give it Time: Do not rush the process. If you don’t love your vision, wait. I repeat, if you do not LOVE your vision on paper, WAIT (even just a week). Walk away from the project all together for a few days and revisit. Do not get discouraged if it’s not perfect the first go round- everything takes times. A home is a place where you share and spread love, make sure you love every space you have a hand in.
If you know me, you know I am not a DIYer! But this project made me realize that I am totally capable of taking on a DIY project, as long as I have a clear vision, a paint brush, and a husband with a hammer.
Enjoy your refresh, I can’t wait to see what you create!